Monday, January 21, 2013

Resolutions, Just Do It

It's a new year and with that, the reboot of the resolutions. Thus, I thought I would take this opportunity to post about the one resolution that is on everyone's list, if not at the top of the list, the resolution of getting more exercise. Everyone's schedule is different and finding time to fit exercise in can be difficult. This is when I remind myself what my brother often tells me, “You always have time, it is up to you to prioritize it.” This philosophy can be applied to many different things in my life, but at the moment getting exercise is among the top.  



There are two main reasons why I put exercise at the top. One, exercise actually gives you more energy. I know this seems contrary after the exhaustion sets in from a heavy workout, but after exercising my mind just feels a little bit sharper (Thank you endorphins). In addition, being bored on the elliptical and treadmill, my mind has time to wander and it gives me a chance to be creative or reorganize my thoughts. (This is similar to what happens when you sleep or when you walk out from an exam and all the answers come flooding in).

The second reason is that exercise is often a way to connect with my friends and family. Aside from meeting up at the gym to catch up on the day, there are so many exercise activities that bring people together. Mini vacations to snowboard in Tahoe, to hike in Yosemite, or to white water raft on the Sacramento River can bring friends together. Other ways to connect that I see my brother use include training for a marathon or a pick-up basketball game. (Note. I haven't done a marathon yet. You do learn the limits of your body very well, but from the stories I hear from family and friends that have done it, I don't believe it to be the healthiest of endeavors. For those that do complete a marathon, I applaud you. It is truly a herculean effort to build up the endurance and knowledge to complete it safely).  


Now, I'll get back to the shoes. The shoes! The shoes! The shoes! I was lucky to find my first pair of running specific shoes at Sports Basement (I love Sports Basement. They are a great community, have great discounts, and have just about any sport necessity that you can imagine.) They were cleaning out their inventory and a great deal. After my friend whispered into my ear how great a deal it was, I snapped them up. (The random customer replacing a years worth of running shoes was also a great indication of the deal). 

The pink ones were the only ones in my size. One of the flaws of girls sporting wear, the gear designed to fit the female form are often only available in bright pinks or girly patterns. This time I didn't mind, I usually wear lots of black (to hide any perspiration) when I workout and the pink added a little pop to the outfit.


These are the Nike Free. Looking at the bottom of the shoe, you can see the technological design that has made them so popular among runners. They really do unbind your feet, and allow you to strengthen the muscles of your feet in the same way that runners who train themselves barefoot. They do take some time to get used to (sore feet after the first trip to the gym), but I have grown to love them. (Also, I found out recently the Nike Free come in a variety of cushioning ranging from 0 to 10. 0 being barefoot and 10 being regular running shoe).




 Random Fact: There are 26 bones in each foot, which add up to 52 total bones in your feet. Thus, your feet make up about 25% of the 207 bones in your body.


2 comments:

  1. I like your blog. Many information is provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are amazing. I really need to get a pair like that.

    I would love for you to stop by my blog and check out my latest outfit post.
    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete